Community Awareness Program
The Community Awareness Program™ (CAP) empowers citizens to help play a role in enhancing our community’s safety.
The CAP is an interactive course taught by members of the public safety community. It provides citizens with the basic tools needed to recognize and help prevent criminal activity and terrorism in the United States while preserving civil liberties protected by the U.S. Constitution.
If you have additional questions regarding the CAP, please email CAP@thecell.org or call 303.844.4000 ext. 6.
Upcoming CAP Classes
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Recognition & Awards
- Developed in line with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security If You See Something, Say Something™ campaign, the CAP equips citizens to recognize suspicious behaviors outlined in the ISE-SAR Functional Standard, which is the foundation of the Nationwide Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR) Initiative (NSI).
- The CAP was featured nationally by DHS DOJ through the LLIS program. To find out more, click here.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, recognized the CAP as a Public-Private Partnership Best Practice at the 2011 National Fusion Center Conference.
- The CAP has also received recognition from FEMA’s 2011 Individual & Community Preparedness Award for Innovative Training & Education Programs.
- The Colorado State Patrol received the 2013 Outstanding Community Policing Award through the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) for the implementation of the CAP throughout the state of Colorado.
The CELL’s video, Recognizing 8 Signs of Terrorism, which is featured in the CAP, has been nationally recognized and critically acclaimed:
- Aegis Video & Film Production Award – Achieved “winner status” and placed 7th in the Training and Education category.
- Telly Award – Silver Award in Government Relations and Bronze Award in Social Responsibility.
- Aurora Award – Gold Award in Security Safety category and Platinum Best of Show Award in Public Relations/Awareness category.